Monday, April 18, 2022

#110: My Rifle Jammed Every Time!

 #110: My Rifle Jammed Every Time!

     When I was the political appointee in 1992 as the Director National Cemetery System of the Veterans Affairs Department, I was visiting the Nashville, Tn. National Ceremony and met a distinguished veteran of World War II. He was Desmond Doss. Desmond had received the Medal of Honor for his exemplary courage exhibited in Okinawa, when he was a combat medic. He had been a conscientious objector due to his religious faith and his commitment required he not bear arms. He looked as if he may have weighed the same as he did on Hacksaw Ridge in 1945!

      Fast forward to 2016. The true story of Desmond Doss and his actions to save numerous of his fellow soldiers wounded in his noted battle in Okinawa in 1945 were depicted in the movie "Hacksaw Ridge." Doss would not stop in his commitment on that day to carry his wounded to a cliff to have them moved by ropes to an aid station below. Many were saved due to his valorous actions. 

     Fast forward again to late 1990s and a trip by Desmond Doss back to a Marine base in Okinawa to visit. A social function was scheduled and amazingly enough a small number of Japanese soldiers, who had also survived the battle, were also present. Upon meeting Doss, one of the Japanese soldiers came up to Doss and proclaimed, "I know you! In the battle I was a sniper and I had you in my rifle sights several times, but each time my rifle jammed! I was able to shoot other Americans on the battlefield." This is a classic example of God intervening divinely to save Desmond Doss, a man of faith. This story was told to me by a fellow Army officer, who was personally present during this extraordinary exchange fifty years after the battle.

    Allen Clark

    Vietnam veteran wounded in 1967

No comments:

Post a Comment