Thursday, August 1, 2024

Avalon Chronicles #151: Champions of the Faith-Rees Howells Intercessor

      Originally published in 1952 was a book by Norman Grubb titled Rees Howells Intercessor. My own copy was published in 1983 by Christian Literature Crusade in Fort Washington, Pennsylvania 19034. I rediscovered the book in summer 2024 as I was researching the June 1940 evacuation of Allied troops from Dunkirk, France after the German onslaught across Belgium and France. I had recalled the intercessory prayers of the students of the Bible College of Wales in Grubb's work about Rees Howells.

     My review of the book, after my third reading by Sept. 20, 2020, showed extensive underlining of key sections of the book as I was reminded of this Champion of the Faith Rees Howells, who, after an incredible ministry to include Africa, where he was a part of a ministry, founded by Rev. Andrew Murray, he founded in Swansea, Wales the Bible College of Wales. He was born Oct. 10, 1879 in the mining village of Brynamman, South Wales into a family of eleven children. His father was a working man in an iron works and coal mine. I am compelled to copy and mark in quotes the very poignant words from this book as expressions of the growth of Rees' faith. "But outstanding from Rees' earliest days was his consciousness of God." Early in his life was the influence of his grandparents, who had been converted in the 1859 Revival. Although, he said, "I felt I could face God every night, because I lived such a clean, pure life, and there were hundreds in Wales who lived like that." How many of today's earthlings can live in such a manner?

     Rees went to America to work near Pittsburgh, where his cousin Evan Lewis lived. Evan asked him one night if he was "born again." Evan asked Rees, "Do you know you are saved?" Rees replied, "I am Christian, and that's good enough for me." Rees then moved to another town and his cousin left him with the words, "...it troubles me to see you going when you are not right with God." Soon he realized, "...he knew there was a gulf between him and God, and a deeper concern for his eternal destiny than for any of the affairs of this life possessed his mind." It is a critical question avoided by most of what is their eternal destiny? He contracted typhoid fever and feared meeting his Maker, but, "From that time on, he never regarded eternity lightly, for he had faced the reality of hell-a separation from God for ever." At this critical time in his life he had a revelation: "I found that I had only an historical Christ and not a personal Savior who could take me to the other side."

     He met a converted Jew, Maurice Reuben, who had an experience, wherein Reuben "...heard a voice repeating to him the words of John 14:6: 'I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me.'" Rees was sincerely touched by Reuben's testimony and that is when he described that the encounter became his spiritual birthday. It was when he truly understood, "When you receive the Savior, you receive the love of God." Rees returned to his native Wales in an auspicious year 1904, the time of the great Revival, led by Evan Roberts. During this time he realized, "The intercession of the Holy Ghost for the saints in this in this present evil world must be made through believers filled with the Holy Ghost." (Romans 8: 26, 27). Howells went on to a remarkable life of serving others, witnessing how his own life had been changed by Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment