Monday, August 5, 2024

Avalon Chronicles #153: Authority

      The word Authority is oppressive and scary to some for a variety of different reasons. I was subject to the authority of my parents throughout my youth. I do not recall boundaries needing to be set by them to establish their authority, it was just natural for me to desire to be pleasing to them and make them proud of me. I attended and graduated West Point as a cadet, preparing to serve my country as an officer and I can assure you I became accustomed to authority for 47 months as a cadet! Then submission over five years to more authority as a commissioned officer involved in Vietnam as an intelligence officer conducting clandestine missions. Especially as a soldier we are under the authority of the rules and regulations of our military and that of the overall authority of our nation, when we serve. I never questioned whether I should submit to the authority categories enumerated thus far.   

     Societal/family experiences for many constitute a decided denial of submission to authority for many. This is due to a variety of reasons: to an overarching authority imposed upon some due to excessive parenting; hurt from someone or a situation; legal issues due to bad choices; a general hesitation to accept direction and possibly just a rebellious spirit.

     With the polarity of positive submission to authority by me and several reasons for authority being repulsive in daily human interactions for many others, we come to the ultimate authority for which it is wise to submit. That is to our Heavenly Father. 

    In 1963 Jimmy Soul had a song titled "If You Want to be Happy for the Rest of Your Life." The lyrics are forgotten, but the title is a good one. Yesterday in my 83rd year I came to the realization that, if I did want to be "Happy for the Rest of my Life," there was something I needed to finally do. That is to submit to the Ultimate Authority. Finally, although I may have actually submitted eons ago.

     Maybe some of you readers know Who that is. It is God the Father, the Creator of all in the heavens and on earth. The One, Who sent His Son to die on that cross in Jerusalem two thousand years ago for the sacrifice that allows us all the privilege of getting our lives of sin cleaned up. The Son Jesus left earth, but He left the third part of the Triune God here as the Holy Spirit to indwell us, if we allow it. Acceptance of submission to God's authority seems very challenging. It is, but, once accomplished, it makes life happier, because we have an anchor for our lives, a guide, an example of daily living. Living by the authority of God's laws means peace each day. We do not need to have the burden of guilt when we submit. 

     If you are stubborn to have accepted some aspect of authority in your life, keep it up, but if you are SAT (Sick and Tired) of dealing with so much turmoil in your life and wish to accept the ULTIMATE AUTHORITY, your God in Heaven is awaiting the opportunity to bestow blessings on you. Ask what you can lose versus what you will gain!

Vaya Con Dios! Go With God! 

No comments:

Post a Comment