Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Avalon Chronicles #79: "Change, it is a-coming!"

Avalon Chronicles #79: "Change, it is a-coming!"

by Allen B. Clark
allenbclark@aol.com
www.combatfaith.com
www.combatfaith.blogspot.com

Several decades ago Gregory Peck portrayed in the movie "MacArthur," General Douglas MacArthur, my childhood hero whom I  personally have seen twice. There is a scene in which MacArthur and President Roosevelt in 1943 conferred about the war in the Pacific on a ship somewhere in the Pacific. MacArthur had not been back to the United States, since he had lived in the Philippines from 1935, where he was training their Army. In the course of the conversation the President said to MacArthur, "You ought to come back to the United States. Things are changing." We all recall certain lines or scenes from our favorite movies and this was one indelibly imprinted in my memory. MacArthur replied, "Mr. President, the things I believe in never change!"

In my 75th year I can attest to this belief. This past Saturday night Linda and I attended our alumni annual Founder's Day celebration of West Point, founded March 16, 1802. One of our annual traditions is to hear remarks from both the oldest and youngest graduates present. The contrast in their remarks ranging from 1956 to 2010 was striking. The oldest grad spoken in such a dignified and measured manner pointing out the changes at our Alma Mater, not necessarily decrying any of them, but nevertheless indicating the difficulty as one ages to accept certain "changes." Our eminent speaker spoke of our motto which binds old and new graduates together, "Duty, Honor, Country." That never changes. Many other cultural manifestations change constantly and I remember a pastor one time illustrate the changing mores of the society by way of a frame of behavior that keeps moving over and becoming larger in its negativity and lowering of standards of civility

In Matthew 24:35 (KJV) it is written, "Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away." The words I have attempted mightily to incorporate in my soul and spirit and carry through in thoughts, words, and deeds have not changed. They are in no particular order: to have totally engrafted in me that God created all; that Jesus is He Who came to earth to die for my personal sins and to provide a way for me to achieve eternal life through faith in Him; to verbally articulate this belief appropriately; that the Holy Spirit was gifted to us to indwell us and move us to strength in faith which is followed by good works to serve others; for the Holy Spirit to live in me; to offer constant praise to God; not to accept our culture's non-Christian values; God's word is the power we need for our lives in obedience and changes for the good; I ask the Holy Spirit to change me where needed for adherence to the Gospel message; that I would confess as a sin any resentments held toward others and ask forgiveness.

We just returned from a twelve day trip to Israel and our personal tour guide, Shooki Makovky, gifted me a treasure at his home, where he had invited Linda and me to share Shabat Friday meal with his wife and three daughters. The gift was a copy of the The Stone Edition of the Chumash, the Torah with commentary. The significance of God's word is expressed in the introduction in an anecdote. There is on page xxv a story in a section titled "Indestructible Letters." "When the ancient Romans condemned the Mishnaic sage Rabbi Chanina ben Teradyon to death for the 'crime' of teaching the Torah, they wrapped him in a Torah scroll and set him aflame. As his agony reached its climax, his students asked him, 'Rabbi, what do you see?' He answered, 'The parchments are consumed, and the letters fly up [to heaven]'...The letters are eternal for they are the will of the eternal." So too are the words of our Lord in our Bible. They do not change.

I John 3:22 (KJV): " I know that my prayers are answered because I obey His commandments and do the things that are pleasing in His sight."

Society, its standards, and Caesar's world may change. These words above I will not change!

No comments:

Post a Comment